What is the problem?
- An important need must be addressed
- A gap between where we are now and where we could be
- Limitation of current knowledge
Problem is also opportunity
- A fresh idea
- A refinement of old ideas
- A new paradigm
Create clear measurable objectives
- A goal is a general statement of the project’s overall purpose; whereas, an objective is a specific, measurable outcome or milepost.
- There should be 2 to 4 objectives for each goal statement.
- Most proposals are driven by clear, testable hypotheses
- Experimental design must directly test listed hypotheses. If it is going to take multiple steps to test hypothesis, clearly explain each step of the process.